[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Argentine's elections

John wrote:
>Alex wrote:
>>An example could be Algeria or Egypt, which are having to deal with
>>issues of separation of Church and State which were dealt with by most
>>other countries at least a hundred years back.
>>
>This seems to show how shallow your analogy really is. The conditions of
>seperation of church and state in the Islamic world is absolutely the
>opposite of that in Christianity.

I think what is at heart here is a different understanding of the
meaning of the world analogy. I agree with all the characteristics
that you present to differentiate Islamism and Christianity, I could
even add a few more of my own on why the separation of Church and
State in Egypt is not exactly like the "Guerra de Reforma" in Mexico.
Still, a lot can be learned from those previous experiences, and to
dismiss them as totally unconnected (historically hollow) would be a
mistake...

>In a global context,
>for example, the situation in Mexico today is NOTHING like the situation
>that the US enjoyed 100 years ago--with millions of acres of "free land"
>for the taking (as soon as the army could push all those indians off it),
>millions of slaves providing cheap labor that poured into the coffers
>of New York financiers and merchants, and millions of immigrants desperate
>to find work at any wage.

Millions of people willing to work for any wage... Is that Mexico in 1995
or the US in 1885 you said?

Alex

--
Alex Lopez-Ortiz                             alopez-o@neumann.UWaterloo.ca